The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Local icon satisfies most brunch cravings

Kelli Taylor
The Fry and Eggs on the Classen Grill menu comes with a large, hand-battered chicken fried steak, eggs your way, breakfast potatoes, and two biscuits with gravy.

Classen Grill, a local icon since 1980, doesn’t look like much from the outside, but it is definitely more than it looks. Beyond the eccentric appearance, Classen Grill serves delicious and inventive brunch food, as well as all your favorites.

From all varieties of pancakes and waffles to eggs benedict and quesadillas, Classen Grill offers a wide variety of tasty breakfast foods. One dish that is particularly well known is their chicken fried steak. In addition to it being crispy and well-seasoned, this steak comes with eggs, hash browns and biscuits and gravy. Despite the fact that she didn’t enjoy the eggs much Kelli Taylor thought that the meal was a great value for $8.99.

Another delicious dish, The Biscuit Debris, is a little more inventive. This dish is exactly what it sounds like. Flaky soft biscuits are cut in half and smothered in pepper gravy with lots of sausage scattered throughout and covered in cheese. Yes, it was absolutely delicious. It also comes with a side of hash browns.

Katie Leenders was very happy with her meal which our waitress jokingly called a “carb-fest.” After ordering a shortstack of pancakes, cinnamon roll, and a hot chocolate, Leenders was very pleased with her cinnamon roll saying it was tasty because, “it’s a cinnamon roll duh…”

Now this reporter definitely has a favorite menu item and it is the cheese grits. I’m telling you if I could have a plate of just those cheese grits I totally would. They were creamy and cheesy with a little bit of crispiness on top. Yummy!

The pancakes are also very highly recommended. You even get a selection of syrups and sauces. Michael Emerson ordered the blueberry pancakes and was slightly disappointed when he found out the majority of blueberries were just in the sauce and not in the pancakes, but the pancakes still satisfied.

The waffles seem like a delicious addition to the menu, however after tasting the pecan waffles Rebekah Dow was unhappy with the amount of sugary syrup on top.

“I’m one of those health foodies who just wants nuts,” Dow said.

Perfect accompaniments to your meal are the hot chocolate with whipped cream or the fresh squeezed orange juice. Now, this orange juice is famous. Ask anyone who’s been there and they will tell you all about the juicer next to the kitchen that rotates oranges in and out.

No matter what you order, Classen Grill will likely satisfy. They are located at 5124 North Classen Boulevard in Oklahoma City, OK. They are open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Go forth and satisfy your brunch cravings.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.